Sunday, November 2, 2008

Politicians, Dante, and the 8th Circle of Hell

I was refreshing my memory on Dante's Inferno today (I haven't read it since my freshman year in high school, and a friend made a comment about one of the circles of hell, and I needed a quick refresher. The comment, btw, mentioned hypocrites' place in Dante's hell), and discovered something amusing. Before I get to that, two things: 1) I don't believe that Dante was a big an authority on hell as he'd have us believe (His ideas are pretty self-serving. I mean, assuming that his enemies would be consigned to hell? Not too egotistical.) But for the purposes of this blog entry, his ideas are pretty convenient for me ;)

2) I think we can safely agree that most--possibly not all, but surely a large portion--politicians are corrupt. (Politics and corruption go hand in hand, right?)

So, anyway. It turns out that the 8th Circle of Hell has a space (a bolgia) reserved especially for corrupt politicians. They are immersed in a lake of boiling pitch. Now, I have to say that I think that in this century, we could probably come up with something more creative than that as a punishment for corrupt politicians, but Dante had to work with what he had available to his imagination in the 14th century.

This brings me to this question, though: if we do assume that most politicians are corrupt, and that Dante's right and that sends them to hell (I might address that in a future post. Dante apparently didn't believe in grace or forgiveness.), does hell have enough space? Will Satan have to expand?

1 comment:

Expedition Africa dvd box set said...

So, what is the most happiest and wonderful time in a year for you? I’d like to say, Christmas, white snow covered the earth, everywhere decorated with colorful lights, we put aside all the sadness and regrets just for enjoying this long-awaited blessed time. In order to celebrate this festival with all of you, our website on behalf of the Santa to send you all those items you collect on dvdboxroom, remember free shipping for all~
Expedition Africa dvd box set