Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Long time, no write!

It's been a long time, but I'm finally back! (Cue groans and boos) The last eight months have been good, but very busy.

August and September were filled with pet sitting. I spent a lot of time taking care of some lovely kitties (other than Hide and Seek)! I also had Jane's birthday, Jane's homecoming anniversary, Mom's birthday, and a novel that I've started writing. I got some writing done during August & September, but that fell off dramatically after...

A trip to the ICU in September. I had an insulin pump malfunction (which was partly user error!) that caused me to go into DKA. I wasn't getting enough insulin, so my blood sugar went high, I started barfing, etc. When I talked to my endocrinologist, he said to get to the ER--so I did! They got me stabilized, but I had to spend three days in the ICU while they fixed the issues with my blood sugar, insulin and various chemicals the body needs (there was something with potassium and phosphorus). It turns out (I discovered at the end of my hospital stay when we were trying to figure out what caused the DKA) that there was a tiny kink in the tubing of my insulin pump (hidden beneath the little plastic disk where it enters the body, so I didn't see it when I looked for problems), which meant that I wasn't getting the insulin my body needed. Well, lesson learned! I now know to check ALL parts of the tubing. Immediately after my Insulin Adventure, life got really cool when...

In October, I started a new job. I'm now teaching at Westwood College! I teach College Writing and Reading courses. After teaching at NOVA last summer, I discovered that A) I'm good at teaching and B) I love it. I got an email from Westwood in September in response to my Craigslist resume. I interviewed with Amanda, and got the job. Westwood is a career college that focuses on helping students succeed in the world of work. It takes three years to get a Bachelor's degree. There are five 9- to 10-week terms per year, which allows students to get through the curriculum more quickly than a two semester per year program. The work is interesting and challenging; many of our students come from school systems that don't do a good job teaching the basics, so we give them those foundational tools to build on to.

I'm now in my second term at Westwood, and I still love it. I'm an adjunct professor, which means that I'm essentially part-time. I'm hoping/praying that this will turn into a full-time position. Being a full faculty member would be a dream come true.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to for the past eight months.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Great to see you blogging again!

Novelty Pens said...

Congratulations on your teaching position!

Unknown said...

I am happy to join your blog and I like to visit again here.
=========
SEO Services

alex said...

welcome back to blogging..
keep blogging..

Sitka Alaska Fishing Trips
Carrollton Dentist
Tapshop321
Canada Freight
Freight Canada

bones dvd release said...

Hey,It's nice to read it.

bones dvd release